Ever wondered what’s the difference between a Fan Page and a Profile? Here’s my 10 top tips:
1. If you’re a person, you need a personal Profile, or an account, to use Facebook.
2. If you’re anything other than a person, you need a Fan Page. It’s a good idea to create yourself a personal Profile before you make your Fan Page, so you can make full use of your Fan Page. (Yes it is possible – as at today’s date – to create a Page without creating a Profile).
3. People who have Facebook Profiles have “Friends”. They connect with them by clicking on the name of someone they would like to interact with and inviting that person to become a “Friend”. The person you invite can choose whether to accept or decline your invitation. You can set your security settings so that only your “Friends” can see your posts.
4. Businesses with Fan Pages have “Fans”. Anyone can become a “Fan” of your Fan Page. If you really object to someone being a Fan of your page, you can choose to ban them. But you need to act to kick them off your page if that’s what you want to do – whereas with your personal profile, you get to accept or reject their friendship. In a sense, this makes the content of a Fan Page much more open to the public than the content you publish on your personal Profile.
5. People with Facebook profiles can “TAG” other People who have Facebook profiles. They can also “TAG” Fan Pages they have “Liked”. If you don’t know what TAGGING is, click here to view my video series which explains tagging as well as a bunch of other social media topics for newbies.
6. Fan Pages can “TAG” other Fan Pages – but they can’t ”TAG” people with Profiles. This can be a problem if most of the people you want to tag are individuals.
7. Whether you are using a Fan Page or a Personal Profile, you can set a specific name for your presence, eg, my Personal Profile is http://www.facebook.com/elizabethwalton.au, where as my Fan Page is http://www.facebook.com/write4you.biz.
8. You can have as many Fan Pages as you like. I have one for each of my projects. But be aware that the more you have, the more you have to update!
9. You can only have one Personal Profile.
10. You can only have 5,000 friends on your personal Profile. A Fan Page can have as many fans as it “Likes”!!
If it’s all too much, contact me for a group workshop, a skype session, or a one-on-one Q&A session! Or click here to join my Social Media group on Facebook where you can ask all the questions you like, and share knowledge with other in the group! I also run full campaigns for a select group of clients.